Monday, January 27, 2014

David's First Blog Post

        Hi, my name is David Huynh. I am an 18 year old who lives in Dublin, Ohio. I am going to school to major in Business, however I have no idea what type of business I am doing but I am leaning towards being a stock broker. It seems like a fun job that always changes and keeps my active. I actually lived in New York for a lot of my life but I was actually born here in Ohio. My family is fairly interesting. What makes it interesting is that 3 of my aunts all live on the same street as me. I guess they really wanted a close family. I am also fluent in Vietnamese and grew up with a fairly Asian background, which is funny because I speak English at home to my siblings but Vietnamese to adults only. In my spare time, I like to hang out with my friends and in the summer I like to Disc Golf or play Ultimate Frisbee.

        One of the things that stuck to me the most from Hugos' Triggering Town was when he said "To write a poem you must have a streak of arrogance—not in real life I hope. In real life try to be nice." This sentence not only gave me a mini life lesson but it also told me to not worry about the reader so much. I believe it is great when you don't have to worry about anybody except yourself. It really lets your mind wander and let those creative juices flowing. I think that when I begin to write I should let it all go and relax and just write however, there is a certain point where I should think about my audience when writing. Hugo also addresses this earlier in his book when he says "Every moment, I am, without wanting or trying to, telling you to write like me." He even said I don't have to believe or listen to everything he says. This gave me a lot of respect for him. This shows a lot of how he was as a person. 

2 comments:

  1. No way three of your aunts live on the same street as you do. I just think that is so bizarre. I not to familiar with stock broking, but you should be able to make a fortune with that. Being able to speak multiple languages is a great talent and very useful as well. Disc golf is my sport, we'll have to get out and throw some disc sometime here at the Marion course at Sawyer Ludwig Park. Not having to worry about the reader "lets those creative juices flow" makes me chuckle. David, I very much enjoy the way you've approached Mr. Hugo's style of writing and evolved from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have something in common. Before I was born nearly my entire mothers side of the family lived on the same street (that was given my last name). Colley Road in Southern Ohio, near Portsmouth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.